Friday, July 8, 2011

SCOUTING: SPAIN COLLAGES


This first one is of the Madrid airport. I had a connecting flight in London for two hours, but it was really gloomy and cloudy during landing. Therefore, I didn't get to see much of the city from the plane. The airport was bland too, and the vibe was very abrasive. But, Barajas airport in Madrid is extremely vibrant. It is orange and yellow with a high futuristic touch, cafe bars everywhere, and with everyone drunk, a really friendly vibe. The last two days in Europe, I actually slept for two days straight on the arrivals floor and had lovely conversations with an older man who talked to me about how much he hates the Spain economy, which is funny cause the week after I left there were protests in Madrid (20% unemployment rate, yikes!). It was very uncomfortable sleeping on those black, hard chairs. I tied one of my bags to my foot and slept on the other one. Yeah, very fun, counting that I was on my own just having had to pay for an overpriced, shady flight on EasyJet from Amsterdam to Madrid in order not to miss my flight and thus cutting out Belgium and France from my itinerary. That really bummed  me out, but the most frustrating part is how incompetent the train workers in Amsterdam are. Yeah, I have a lot of stories of anger and frustration and pure creepiness. Eeeeek.


Now this one is from my walks in Salamanca. I lived there for three months, so I figure I really should know every detail of the city. I usually do not do black and white photography, because I'm usually a colorful person, but I'm not anymore. I'm not dark, I'm just really, really colorless...now. You can view the full extent of these images by clicking right HERE.


Also, I'm crazy obsessed with European doors. It's ridiculous how old everything is in that continent. Geeze, especially Italy... that place is going to fall in on itself. The doors have never been upgraded so they have a cool deteriorated look. I have more pictures of doors than of people, I'm really antisocial. 


Salamanca is a golden city. It is golden...EVERYWHERE! My apartment building was golden, it's a cohesive look. But, the reason why I was obsessed with doors is because that's what makes the city look so different. 


As far as people go, I met A LOT of people. Everyone being in the same program and living with three other people (technically five), it kind of forces you to be social. I met that collective amount traveling through the continent as I did in Salamanca. But, in the Salamanca community, there was much gratuitous drama...booo. The surprising thing is, a lot of these people are definitely staying in my life for good. Especially Maira, she is geographically close and an incredibly cool musician. <3



No comments:

Post a Comment

VS

Labels